2/3 cup goat feta cheese
1-3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup softened butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 whole egg
1 Tbsp cold milk
1 pkg. partially cooked asparagus spears
1 egg white for egg wash
1 whole egg
• Taste the feta. If it is too salty, soak it in water until it is pleasant to the taste. Depending on the type of feta, you could use it as is or it could require an entire day of soaking before the feta is palatable.
• Make the pastry next. Combine the flour, softened butter, salt, sugar, 1 egg and 1 Tbsp cold milk.
• Roll it into a ball it will be sticky. Wrap and chill for 1 hour.
• Meanwhile wash and dry the asparagus spears.
• Snap off the tough ends, discard or set aside for stock.
• In minimal water, partially cook the asparagus spears.
• Remove from the heat, drain and set aside for use later.
• Preheat the oven to 450F.
• Roll the chilled dough into a 10X16 inch rectangle.
• Trim off the edge and transfer rectangle to a parchment lined baking sheet.
• Reroll the trimmed pastry into a 3X 16 inch strip.
• Cut into 3 long strips.
• Brush the edge of the rectangle with egg wash. [I always have reserved egg whites in the fridge. If you have to crack an egg just for a bit of egg wash, reserve and add the unused egg yolk to the feta mixture later.]
• Now place the pastry strips all around the rectangle, the egg wash will act as glue.
• In a bowl, mash the feta cheese with a whole egg. Add the reserved egg yolk if you have one.
• Spread the feta mixture over the pastry rectangle.
• Arrange the partially cooked asparagus spears on the top.
• Brush the edge of the tart with the egg wash.
• Place in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
• Serve hot or cold.