21.3.12

LEMON CAKE

When he asked me “what is the occasion?” I did not have an answer. So I told him “~nothing~” Which is not entirely true. Not only I am not observing lent this year, apparently I now have a problem with the Ninth Commandment. I had some yoghurt I had to use, but if truth to be told, I woke up with a serious case of lemon craving this morning.

I put a call to Ann in the hope she will stop by to take away some of this magnificent cake which two people cannot finish. I have been thinking about making this cake for a while now. We are talking about four and half cups of cake flour yeh, I could have cut it in half, but hey, I like making cakes. Besides the flavour and the crumb are both lovely. It is all good.

This is even better the following day, if that is possible, lovely and moist. Why people bother with package cakes, adding oil, eggs and pudding mixes to make them half-palatable always amazed me. If you went to all that trouble, you could have made a cake like this.

LEMON CAKE
4-1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
6 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
grated zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup plain yoghurt

• Preheat oven to 375F.
• Grease a large tube cake pan.
• Sift the flour and the baking soda together. Set aside.
• In a large bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
• Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
• Cream the butter, 1-1/2 cups sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest and lemon juice together until fluffy.
• Add flour mixture alternately with the yoghurt to the egg yolk mixture.
• Gently fold in the egg whites and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
• Let cake cool in pan over a wire rack.
• Gently remove cake from the pan and let it cool completely on the wire rack.
• Crumb coat with lemon frosting and place in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
• Frost chilled cake with the remaining frosting and serve.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!