8 cups cooked pasta
1 cup cooked chopped asparagus or broccoli florets, optional
1 cup diced onions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup Canadian back bacon
1/8 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
• Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until soft, but not mushy.
• If using, cook the asparagus spears or the broccoli florets in a different pot until al dente.
• Drain and set the vegetables aside to cool.
• Meanwhile chop the onions and mince the garlic.
• Place the olive oil in a non-stick fry pan and add the chopped onions and the minced garlic.
• Cook the onions and the garlic on medium heat until translucent.
• Add the chopped ham and continuing to sauté over low heat for 4 minutes.
• Remove onion mixture from heat and set aside.
• Drain the cooked pasta into a large sieve and place the sieve inside a big bowl.
• Run cold water over the pasta, filling the bowl with cold water.
• Drain and repeat filling up the bowl with cold water until the water runs crystal clear.
• Drain the pasta until no water collects under the sieve.
• Place the drained pasta in a large bowl and add the melted butter.
• Toss to combine.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the whipping cream.
• Add the cream mixture to the pasta and toss.
• Chop the asparagus spears or the broccoli florets and add to the pasta.
• Add the onion mixture to the pasta and toss to combine.
• Taste the pasta and adjust the salt content. Add ground pepper to taste.
• Lightly spray an ovenproof baking dish and transfer the pasta mixture to the baking dish.
• Grate the white cheddar on the top and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 35-40 minutes.