2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp tomato paste
2 carrots, sliced
2 parsnips, sliced
1/3 celery root, sliced
1 kohlrabi, sliced
5 cups cold water
salt and pepper to taste
1 batch of Soup Dumplings
2 sprigs of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
• Chop or slice the carrots, parsnip, celery root and the kohlrabi into uniform thickness.
• Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
• In a medium large Dutch pot, sauté the onions and garlic in oil on medium heat until the onions are translucent.
• Add the chopped vegetables.
• Sprinkle with salt.
• Gently sauté the vegetables for 5-6 minutes.
• Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
• Remove pot from heat and stir in the paprika marjoram and the tomato paste.
• Add the water and place pot back on the stove.
• Bring to a slow simmer, cover, and cook for ten minutes.
• Meanwhile make up the dumpling batter.
• Spoon the batter into the soup and slowly cook them in the simmering soup.
• Meanwhile chop the fresh parsley.
• Adjust the salt and season the soup with ground pepper.
• Add the freshly chopped parsley and serve.