1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2-2/3 cups flour
3 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
• Beat butter until fluffy.
• Add sugar, baking powder, and salt, and combine.
• Beat in the egg and vanilla.
• Then beat in flour.
• Divide the dough in half.
• Stir poppy and lemon into one half, and leave the other plain.
• On wax paper, roll each dough into a 9×6 inch rectangle.
• Position the poppy rectangle on top of the plain, and lightly roll the rolling pin over them to seal them together.
• Trim the long end closest to you and starting on that end roll up like a jellyroll.
• Wrap and chill until firm.
• Cut dough into 1/8-1/4-inch slices.
• Bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes, 1 inch apart.
• Transfer to wire rack to cool.