500 g beef liver
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp marjoram
ground pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup red wine or water
Do NOT salt liver during cooking
• Wipe the liver with paper towels.
• Cut out the membranes with kitchen sheers. Turn each peace over to check for membranes. Sat aside the membrane free pieces and discard the membranous bits.
• Slice the onion very thin.
• In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
• Add the sliced onions and sauté until translucent.
• Meanwhile slice the liver into thin strips using a chef’s knife.
• When the onions are ready, add the liver strips.
• Sprinkle with marjoram and ground pepper.
• Gently stir and cook until the liver strips are white.
• Stir in the Hungarian paprika and add the red wine or the water.
• Continue to slow-cook the liver and the onions until the liquid is a reduced by half.
• Serve immediately with boiled potatoes.
• If the liver is on a serving bowl, do not salt it yet. The leftovers can be heated later, but not if the dish has been salted. Salt the liver on the individual plates only.