22.3.12

VEGETABLE MASH

This is the second potato dish in two days and we are slowly turning into the Potato Eaters. I do remember once back in leaner days when my grandma served us up a three-course meal from potatoes. We had potato soup, followed by potato főzelék, and as a treat, we had fried potatoes. Thankfully, there was no dessert. I don’t have the same excuse, except my fridge is starting to have that spacious look again and still I didn't feel up to going shopping. Around dinnertime I took out the odd assortment that still lurked in the fridge and after a fleeting moment of despair I had an aha moment and didn’t have to call for takeout after all.

Long time ago I photocopied a “winter vegetable potatoes” recipe from a magazine. I tend to use what I happen to have at home; consequently this dish never tastes the same. Sometimes I use more potatoes and fewer vegetables and sometimes I roast the the vegetables. Sometimes I add bacon or spicy sausages or as in this case, I added a little bit of both. This is when the side dish turns into a one-dish meal and the only other requirement is to have some type of pickle with it. This amount can serve four people.

VEGETABLE MASH
3 russet potatoes
1/2 cup slivered bacon [if not using bacon, replace with 2 Tbsp olive oil]
1/2 cup thinly sliced spicy sausage
2-3 cups of assorted vegetables, thinly sliced [I used broccoli stems, carrots and savoy cabbage]
1/2 cup stock or water
2 Tbsp hot milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
4 green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to pepper to taste

• Peel and chop the potatoes.
• Thinly slice and then chop the bacon and the sausages.
• Thinly slice the vegetables.
• Chop the fresh parsley and the green onions.
• Boil the potatoes until tender.
• Meanwhile, in a large skillet, fry up the bacon and the spicy sausages. Or replace the bacon with 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
• With a slotted spoon remove the bacon and sausages and set them aside in a warm place.
• Add the assorted vegetables to the skillet.
• Pour in the stock and sauté until the liquid is reduced.
• Remove skillet from heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.
• Drain the potatoes and mash them with hot milk.
• Add 2 egg yolks and whip.
• Place the mashed potatoes into a heated bowl.
• Add the fried bacon and sausages and the sautéed vegetables.
• Add the chopped parsley and green onions.
• Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
• Loosely combine ingredients and serve.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!