image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

25.3.12

OVEN DRIED ORANGE SLICES


California navel oranges are fabulous right now. I have been experimenting with drying them in the oven. It is essential to soak up most of the juice with paper towel. The slices that were untreated were drowning in juice. Those left with their skin on were bitter. I dipped some in sugar; these were just sweet, but not very orangey. The best ones were the thinly sliced, unsweetened orange slices with the skin and most of the pith removed.

navel oranges

• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
• Wash and dry the oranges.
• Cut the bottom and the top off.
• Slice the oranges on their belly as thinly as possible.
• With a sharp knife cut away the skin and most of the pith.
• Place the orange slices between layers of paper towel and press out the juices.
• Lay the orange slices on a parchment lined baking pan.
• The slices can touch, but do not layer them.
• Bake in a 200F oven for 2 hours.
• Store the orange slices in a single layer between wax paper.
• Use these for cake decoration.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I stumbled upon your blog while looking for recipes on how to dry fruit without a dehydrator. Thank you for this recipe! It was very helpful. I sliced my oranges very thinly and did as you recommended and the oranges came out fabulously! I'm hoping to use them in homemade chocolate bark :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lora for letting me know it was useful.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive