4-1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
6 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
grated zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup plain yoghurt
• Preheat oven to 375F.
• Grease a large tube cake pan.
• Sift the flour and the baking soda together. Set aside.
• In a large bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
• Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
• Cream the butter, 1-1/2 cups sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest and lemon juice together until fluffy.
• Add flour mixture alternately with the yoghurt to the egg yolk mixture.
• Gently fold in the egg whites and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
• Let cake cool in pan over a wire rack.
• Gently remove cake from the pan and let it cool completely on the wire rack.
• Crumb coat with lemon frosting and place in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
• Frost chilled cake with the remaining frosting and serve.